We are expert single ply roofing contractors in Croydon with 20 years experience. This page contains extensive information about the systems we can install. We hold all the relevant qualifications and approvals for most of the top suppliers. You can also find out about all the advantages and disadvantages of using single ply system with the costing.
Single Ply Roofing Membranes
Single ply roofing membranes are among the most common roofing systems currently. There are many benefits and few negatives for choosing this solution. The main advantage is the quick installation time. This cost effective solution will save you plenty on labour costs.
One of the main features of Single ply is the installation involves only one layer. Many traditional roofing systems need several layers to be effective. This single layer system tends to offer better flexibility than others. They also provide a higher level of resistance to moisture and UV rays from the sun. You can install direct to the roof surface or over the roof insulation.
This is one of the leading flat roof materials which comes in many different membranes. EPDM, PVC and Neoprene all offer a a single layer membrane solution. There are several other popular membranes such as TPO and CSPE which we speak more about below.
Pros And Cons
Here is a summary of some of the advantages and disadvantages of Single ply roofing membranes.
- This type of system is high performance which holds up well to extreme weather.
- The installation is easy in comparison to other systems which can save money on labour costs.
- Single layer membranes are cost effective which are very lightweight. This will help to reduce the stress on the roof structure.
- Single layer membranes are non flammable which do not catch fire like some other systems.
- There is an increasing number of single layer systems available currently. Most offer different levels of protection depending on your project.
- Single ply roofing membranes offer excellent protection from water and chemicals.
- They also have good reflective qualities which protect against UV rays.
- The more expensive solutions can last between 30-50 years but some have a shorter lifespan.
- A single layer membrane is much thinner than several layers which is easier to damage. It’s possible to puncture the surface which can lead to more problems.
- Some systems can have issues with water retention or damage to the seams.
Single Ply Roofing Contractors in Croydon
Use the contact form below for expert single ply roofing contractors in Croydon. We cover all areas of Surrey, Kent, Sussex and London. Our experience with these roof systems includes EPDM, Bauder and Langley systems.
Single Ply Roofing Membrane Cost Per m2 (UK Prices)
When calculating the cost of a single ply membrane it’s important to consider the system. There are many different types, some are more expensive than others for the materials. Most roofers will have their set charge for installation, usually per metre square. You can check the cost calculator here for the typical costs of rubber roofing. Below are the most common systems and a rough idea of the cost of each.
Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (EPDM) Cost Per Square Metre
EPDM is the most cost effective of the single ply membranes. It’s also much easier to install which will save time and installation costs. The current price per m2 for EDPM is £12 – £15. This will depend on where you buy the materials from. A complete installation using this material will likely cost between £50 – £80 per m2. This will include the various bonding adhesives the roofer will need.
TPO (Thermoplastic Polyolefin)
TPO membranes are more expensive which will cost you around £15-20 per m2. Some mistake the price of this material when they compare to the most expensive rubber roofing. TPO tends to have a lifespan of 15 years if you buy a decent quality system. A big benefit is the white surface which helps to reflect UV rays. You usually have different installation options with TPO also.
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride)
PVC is the most expensive type of single ply membrane currently. The going rate per m2 can exceed £20. The reason why most choose this material is the lifespan. A good PVC installation should last over 50 years. This is one of the most popular Bauder roof systems membranes. The installation requires hot air welding which makes it trickier than other systems. This will likely add to the installation cost as well.